Friday, January 24, 2014

Week 1

This was a rather dry week overall, I observed for the first 4 days.  We had 2 delays due to weather,  one of them happened to be today..  Today was my first day to take on teaching and it was the first day of the semester.  The observations went well since it was the end of the semester students were simply finishing projects.  The classes were kind of all over the place on where they were at.  The main things I noticed is that neither Mr. Wallace or Mr. Schirmer utilize bellwork or post their objectives.  Mr. Wallace and I discussed this and he told me that due to switching and sharing rooms they tend to run out of time.  He also told me since I would be taking my classes from the beginning of the semester that I could start the students out the way I wanted. 

I did have the opportunity to work with one student independently with the AET record book system.  The student was having problems entering journal entries and Mr. Wallace said he really didn't know much about the system.  I volunteered to try to help since I received some training in AEE 311.  I was really happy to be able to help the student work through the problem.  He was happy and realized it was easier than he thought.  I also got to help some other students who were working on FFA stuff.  I really enjoyed getting to work with students individually.

Finally today was a 2 hour delay which shortened the periods to 28 minutes each.  This definitely throw a monkey wrench into my plans.  Mr. Schirmer started each of my 3 animal science classes off with paperwork, I had the last 15 minutes to introduce myself and go over my expectations, procedures and consequences.  I found myself in an interesting situation, I had planned to start into content however with the time constraints I couldn't.  Overall I was happy with the day and I am super excited to get into content on Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Mindy,

    Thanks for sharing. I will have to get on Cam for not using Bellwork or posting learning objectives!!! They are critical to new teachers.

    I look forward to reading your deeper reflections this week! Focus on what goes well and what does not, try to avoid speaking in generalizations and really describe a distinct teaching and learning episode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that you didn't have as much to share this week, due to weather, etc., but you do have great information to share.

    ReplyDelete