Friday, April 25, 2014

Community Based Unit of Instruction

For my community based unit of instruction I choose to do a showmanship clinic.  The clinic was a huge success, we had over 65 participants.  The students learned about showing and raising livestock in class we spent 10 class sessions throughout my internship on this material specifically.

sheep showing.jpg

Additionally, I spent numerous hours making contacts within the industry.  The most time consuming portion of the clinic was getting 4H approval for the good production practices(GPP) portion of the instruction.  I finally contacted the regional education coordinator Patty Anderson.  She required that she meet all presenters and conduct a meeting and dry run of what material would be taught.  After meeting with presenters she finally gave her blessing and agreed to sign off on these students having received proper training.



The other set of contacts I had to make was to secure enough industry professionals to help the Mohawk students teach showmanship.  When everything was said and done I had 5 beef showmanship, 3 sheep and goat, and 3 swine presenters.  These people worked side by side with the Mohawk students to delivery an industry leading showmanship clinic.



The next phase of the clinic was to provide secure enough finds in order to provide a free lunch to all participants.  My students and I, contacted dozens of area business'.  We provided them with information about the clinic and donation forms.  When the final numbers were in we received finds funds from 12 businesses for a total of $725!



The clinic was amazing, I was incredibly happy with it.  The only thing I can say is that it was it was extremely exhausting.  In the future I will be sure to put more emphasis into having the students take ownership of the process.  There is no reason that they could not have made all the contacts and arrangements.  The process would have been more beneficial to my students if they had been responsible for  contacting the people and scheduling everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment