Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Final Week...

Well here it is the last and final week...

This week the students in Animal Science Presented their final projects on Monday and Tuesday.  The students did an outstanding job and I was completely shocked when one of the best projects was on rats!

Having 3 days left in the week I really wanted to make a statement and go out with a bang!  I gave the students a range of options and they choose the topic of horse judging as the final lessons.  Horses are really my things I have a wealth of knowledge in livestock but I was basically born and raised on a horse.  Thus, this was the absolute easiest lesson I have prepared for.  The lesson was fantastic and the students were so interested.  I find myself working harder to make judging interesting more than any other topic.  I have found myself pondering why that is and I have come to the conclusion.  I always found judging intriguing and challenging however, I was bored out of my mind when I was taught it in high school.  Thus, that experience has pushed me to make students love judging.  Wednesday became an extremely special day for not only because of that lesson but because my former Ag teacher came to visit me.  He is the reason I decided to teach agriculture.  He made a difference in my life and motivated me to make a difference in another child's life.  Having him observe my teaching and tell me how proud he was of me made my entire day.  It was also great to get talk to him as teacher verse a student.  I learned a lot of things and little tricks throughout the day!  Thursday was my capstone,  I got up at 5 a.m. to load horses to bring the students.  I was so excited that even though it was early the chance to bring a lesson to life like that had me pumped!  The students were super excited and I was extremely happy because EVERY student correctly distinguished between the top and bottom pair in the class!  We even had several visitors come out to see our class and the horses.

Photo

The Building Construction class is making great progress on their drywall project.  Every group has the drywall cut and screwed up.  They have either one or two coats of spackle on the wall and now are on to the sanding and perfection part.

Photo

My advanced welding students have their test plates almost complete and with any luck they will finish them before I leave... Fingers Crossed!!

Photo

FRIDAY

Today I did a huge cook out for all the Ag classes.  They ate 15lbs of hamburger, 10lbs of Lamb, 5lbs of Sausage, 3 cakes, 48 cup cakes, 36 muffins, 8 bags of chips.  Yes, it takes a lot of food to feed ag kids!  It was an amazing day that I will never forget.  My students were amazing and I am really going to miss them!




1 comment:

  1. Mindy,

    Awesome experiences... for all... by all.

    -Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete