Friday, March 14, 2014

Week 7- Spring fever kicking in..

Monday and Tuesday I was in Harrisburg for SLLC and Mr. Schirmer did the Hoardsman Dairy contest with the students.

Wednesday

Animal Science

I had the students work on their final projects.  The general overview and plan for the business was due Friday.  The students worked well and made tremendous progress on the project.  There were only a couple people that needed to finish it at home.

Buildings

The students finished gluing their PVC project and hydro-tested the projects.  Everyone's project passed the hydro-test although some were a bit sloppy with the glue.

Welding

The students worked on their welds and several are making good progress on the sequence there are a few who are behind but they are catching up.

Thursday

Animal Science

This lesson was on parasites, it was a pretty cool day the students were grossed out by the pictures and videos.  However, being such a sweet teacher I passed out gummy worms during the lesson.  I now have students who swear they will never eat another gummy worm!  This seemed to be a successful lesson because the students now understand how parasites effect animals.

Welding

Everything went smooth and the students were productive.

Friday- Spring Fever I hope

Animal Science

Fridays we always do a lab or activity.  Today's lab was a fecal egg count.  I personally thought this was rocking cool!  I was completely geeking out before class even started.  I borrowed microscopes, slides, test tubes, and test tube racks Thursday.  The students thought this was disgusting and pure torture.  I seriously do not understand why they had gloves and only had to pick up an acorn size piece of manure and put it in a test tube.  No big deal, at least that's what I thought!  Needless to say the students spent more time arguing about who had to touch the poop than anything.  I was frustrated by the lack of maturity. 

Welding

When I took this class over I gave the students computer drawings of what they were required to do.  Everyday I have them take them out and go over one of the welds to describe its purpose.  Additionally, I have told them everyday that somebody has to have their plans or they are not welding.  Well, today was the day no one had their plan and I was pushed into a corner...  Do I let them get away with it or what?  Well, I picked up a welding book and started flipping through it (trying to think).  We discussed the workplace and the importance of plans and the effects of not having them.  I said to the students, "how do you propose we handle this problem?"  One of my best students spoke up and said "how about we work together and "re-create" our plans.  I thought a second and said "ok"  the group worked together until they had the complete list.  I was impressed, thus I let them go work on their welds. 

1 comment:

  1. Mindy,

    It looks like another great week at Mohawk. I liked the reflection on the welding class/student project plans. I would be interested in hearing how you think you will handle the "maturity level" issue in the future for your animal science class. Would you provide more insight on the front-end of class? Would you prepare them differently? Would you explain that this is nothing compared to what some careers in research, etc. entail? Some thoughts on your future approach would have been good to hear.

    - Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete