Saturday, March 29, 2014

Week 9- More great experiences

Monday

Animal Science

The students worked to complete the beef EPD project.  The groups all had there 10 females picked out and only needed to choose a sire.  I decided to incorporate the next level of our reproduction topic into the assignment.  Instead of simply choosing the best bull offered in the sale, I had the students pick a bull off the Genex website.  This game them more choices and the actually took the task quite serious comparing EPDs back and forth.

Building Construction

Supplies came in Friday and the students were able to get started on the project.  This renovation and completion project entails a large amount of demonstrations.  The students are getting to perform the majority of the work.  However, Mr. Wallace and myself are spending most of the time demonstrating.

Advanced Single Cylinder/Welding

We are continuing to get mowers in that need serviced.  Thus, Mr. Schirmer and I are splitting the class so that we are able to keep all students actively engaged.  The students on the welding side are doing a great job their level of commitment and dedication to doing these test plates properly is incredible! 

Tuesday

Animal Science

I started the class by reviewing the information required for the nutrition and health portions of the final project.  I then showed the students my "final project" presentation, following it up with I would not ask you to do something that I have not.  The students seemed to connect better by being able to see a finished product.  The ideas, depth of information and interest in this final summative assessment is mind blowing.  When I developed this project I hoped I could hook my students into having half the level of interest in it that I did.  However, I think I ended up getting twice the level of excitement back that I gave they completely love working on this project.

Building Construction

The students spent the period first sanding the spackle they applied Monday and were able to put a second coat on.  There are still some holes and seems that are going to need one more day.  They didn't get a lot done the previous day after demonstrations.

Advanced Single Cylinder/Welding

The same structure was followed as the previous day.  My young men are doing great however, on their second pass down the bevel they are starting to have some issues.  The guys have a good attitude are learning that it is more about doing it right than speed that they do it.




















Embedded image permalink





Wednesday---- Evaluation Day----

However, not the evaluation that probably jumps into your mind first.  I was fortunate enough to have Blackhawk HS observing me for the last two periods of the day.  It went great and they said that they will be touch for an interview!

Animal Science

The topic in my unit plan was the estrous cycle and the use of CIDRs.  To be completely honest I wasn't sure that I really wanted to teach that on this day.  However, since that was what was in the plan next I decided to go for it!  In reflection, I think it was a good idea because it truly pushed me to make it an awesome lesson!
This comic is the result of 3 hours spent on Bitstrips trying to make the Estrous cycle interesting and easy to understand.  I believe the results were well worth the work!  My students seemed to be able to relate to the comic.  By the way the comic idea was stole from Todd during our meeting Friday!

Additionally, I have to add when you put 2 high school principles, 1 district administrator and as many as 3 teachers into a room of 12 students everyone sits up straight and participates.  My principle sat down beside one the IEP students who has been causing a lot of problems and do you know what....  For the first time he sat up straight, took notes, answered questions and became a "model" student.  To be honest it truly confirmed me suspicions that his main problem is a lack of motivation.

Buildings

Class went well the students were sanding and spackling again, they are making good progress and I would expect the project to be complete by Monday.

Advanced

This class was also observed by the pack of administrators.  These kids work well everyday however, they certainly put their best foot forward for me.  We started class off by looking at x-ray films and the other types of weld tests that we have available.  Blackhawk found this class particularly interesting since it was something they weren't aware fell into the general Ag description. 

Thursday

Animal Science
 
After a pretty intense Wednesday I decided to relax things a bit with a jeopardy game.  This time the topic was pheno-typic beef cattle selection.  I divided the class into 4 groups and it went great.  The main things I learned is that games are fun but sometimes students can get a little too into the competition verse the content.

Buildings

6th period has their side of the wall just about complete however, period 5 has some work to do still.  Its interesting to see how differently the two groups work.

Advanced

The group working on mowers had completed everything that they had to do, so everyone was welding again.

Friday

Well today I took a "personal" day on the recommendations of Mr. Wallace and Mr. Schirmer.  I decided to apply to the C-L position.  Both felt it would be best for me to take the day off and visit the school.  I agreed so I made an appointment with the Principle.  This was a great day, I have to say it is really awesome when schools that are hiring are willing to take time to show the facilities and introduce to the people you would be working with.  I thought the closing date seemed quick on the position, however I was further surprised to find out that they are planning on interviewing in two weeks.



1 comment:

  1. Mindy,
    Keep up the good work. I finally was able to see the pictures! Did you load them differently this week? In any case, nice sharing just keep on thinking/sharing how you can improve, and provide the best opportunities for students.

    I am glad to see that you visited Clarion-Limestone. It does seem to be a quick turnaround. I am guessing that they realize that the number of candidates will "shrink" with every week that passes, as schools will begin making offers when they know they have the right candidate.

    Final thought... watch your spelling of "principal" versus "principle".

    Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete